Sender:
From:
Greg Berge USA Czech <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 1994 13:36:25 -0500
Scott Williams writes:

>  I am of the opinion that officials late in the game
>  should let calls go and let the players play and
>  decide the game.

This opinion is shared by many people, and I
don't understand it.  The players are the only ones
who ever decide a game -- one of the ways they
decide it is to play close to the edge down the
stretch and risk being penalized in order to
improve their chances on any given play.  The
risk is a fundamental part of that decision -- the
players know exactly what they're doing.

The officials should be completely blind to the
score or time left in calling penalties.  They should
call the game consistently throughout.  This is the
only way to eliminate undue officials' effects from
the equation and truly let the players "decide the
game".

Greg
Cambridge
Let's Go Red!