Sender:
From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 1994 10:09:36 CST
I'm just hoping hockey-l is out there somewhere to get this!  (no mail since
Thursday or Friday, prob'ly a link down around here.)  Also hoping the Gophs
snap out of their funk for this weekend!
-Pam

Headline: <%-3>Seawolves<%0> sweep U out of 1st
Publish Date: 02/21/1994

David Jackson

<W0I>Staff Reporter

Most observers did not think WCHA newcomer Alaska Anchorage would
pose much of a threat to the league's established powers, but it
certainly has left a lasting impression on Minnesota.

The Seawolves completed the first sweep of the Gophers in Minneapolis
since December 1991 with a 7-4 win Saturday night. The Seawolves won
3-2 on Friday.

With the sweep, the Gophers have vacated first place in the WCHA.
Their 34 points are one fewer than Wisconsin's and Colorado
College's. And the schedule sends them to Madison this weekend for a
crucial series with the Badgers, one that must seem like penance for
their uninspired play against the Seawolves.

Especially frustrating for Minnesota was the formerly sound defense
and strong goaltending -- which carried them to nine straight wins
earlier this year -- that deserted them Saturday.

``We didn't make a save when we needed to,'' Gopher coach Doug Woog
said. ``We let down at the wrong times. They played hard, and when
they needed something good to happen, we helped them out.''

Minnesota led just once this weekend, 3-2 after the first period
Saturday, when Jeff Nielsen and Brian Bonin scored consecutive
power-play goals late in the period.

Then the Gophers collapsed. Jack Kowal scored on his own rebound at
1:58 of the second period to tie the game, and Cotton Gore untied it
29 seconds later by banking a shot from behind the net off goalie
Jeff Moen.

That goal sent Moen to the bench in favor of Jeff Callinan, but it
brought no relief to the Gophers' cause. Mika Rautakallio scored his
second goal of the game at 16:18 of the period, taking a centering
pass and waiting for Callinan to go down before sliding a backhand
under him.

After Dan Woog got the Gophers within 5-4 in the third period, UAA's
Jason White picked off Chris McAlpine's pass at the Minnesota blue
line and fired it past Callinan with 4:59 remaining. And Paul
Williams got his second goal of the game when a dump-in by the
Seawolves hit his stick and bounced into an empty net with 2:45 left.

The win was the Seawolves' third straight, all coming on the road.
They remain in the hunt for a home-ice advantage in the playoffs,
climbing within two points of fifth-place St. Cloud State.

``We've said all year that we rely on four lines,'' UAA coach Brush
Christiansen said. ``Since Christmas, this has been a team thing. We
have a good goaltender, and that allows us to take some chances.''

That good goaltender is junior Lee Schill, who stopped 69 of 75 shots
in the series, including 41 on Friday night. In reality, the Gophers
had better chances Saturday night, despite 11 fewer shots.

Of his performance Friday, Schill said, ``They weren't really
high-caliber shots. They played well, but they didn't attack the net.
I'd rather have 43 shots from out far than 15 from in close.''

The Gophers had those shots Saturday, particularly in the first
period, their best period of the series. But the 11 saves that Schill
made and the goals made by Rautakallio and Williams kept the visitors
within one after 20 minutes.

``We played harder for longer tonight,'' Doug Woog said Saturday,
making reference to Friday's listless performance.

Minnesota looked disorganized Friday, possibly a result of several
players missing a day or more of practice with various injuries and
ailments. In particular, Nielsen missed two days with the flu and
Dave Larson was slowed by an ankle injury.

``You can't use that as an excuse,'' defenseman McAlpine said. ``Our
effort was poor the whole game. I don't know why we have to be two
goals down before we show any emotion. We should be getting the first
two goals.''

Coach Woog added, ``We can say this guy's sick and missed practice
and this guy's hurt and missed practice. What about the guys that
were there?''

Gopher notes: The last time Minnesota was swept at home was Dec.
14-15, 1991. It lost 7-5 and 4-3 to Northern Michigan.

Pam Sweeney                            Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]         1993 WCHA Playoff Champions!!!
[log in to unmask]              Ski-U-Mah!!!