From:
Jeff Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 19:53:44 -0500
Just joining back in....  I think even the most ardent Michigan fan would
agree that while the atmosphere at Yost is incredible (if somwhat obcene at
times!), Munn is by far a more comfortable place to watch a game (I think it
is also about 80 years younger!)   I did a search and found the quote I was
talking about in the Feb 27 issue of the Detroit Free Press.. (
http://www.freep.com/sports/thepuck/pred27_20030227.htm )  My impression of
the quote (I'll admit, it is thru Spartan green-shaded glasses, so take it
for what it is worth), is that while there is grudging respect (again, about
what I'll give Berenson and the U-M program!), Red doesn't want anyone who
doesn't feel the Michigan program is superior to MSU's.  Both schools have
had seniors stay all 4 years and do quite well at the Pro level, and have
also had players leave without completing their elegibility.  If there was a
"gentleman's agreement" not to recruit Canadians, it went by the wayside
fairly quickly. From what I remember during my college years (73-77) both
schools were between 50% and 75% Canadian, with the rest coming from
Michigan and Minnesota....

jj

mailto:[log in to unmask]
www.jljackson.net