NETANN-L Archives

- NETANN-L - Networkmaine Network Announcement List

NETANN-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Letourneau, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
- NETANN-L - UNET Network Announcement List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2007 23:00:05 -0400
Due to a fire in Boston we have lost connectivity to the Internet2
backbone.  As one of our colleagues in Indiana so aptly put it...

Question: When can a cigarette take down your net...

Answer: When you throw it at a bridge and light it on fire.

Read about the fire at
http://wbztv.com/topstories/local_story_121202334.html

To be clear, while our connection to the NoX remains up the Intenet2
link between Boston and New York is down due to the fire effectively
isolating New England from the rest of the Internet2 backbone.  Efforts
are currently being made to reroute Boston via DC.  Any estimate on time
to service restoration would be pure speculation.  We'll pass on further
information as we receive it.

--

Jeffrey Letourneau

Assoc. Dir - Communications & Network Services

Information Technology Services

University of Maine System