From:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 1994 11:49:39 -0500
In an apparent violation of Oliver's Famed Weauxing Theorem, Wisconsin
woofs MTU and succeeds!  Coach Jeff Sauer on both the Bob Mancini
show and the pre-game show predicted wins for Wisconsin. Of course
he did not predict a shutout.

MTU  0 0 0 - 0
WIS  3 1 1 - 5

1st period: (I apologize in advance: there are two Strobels on UW, Mike
and Mark. However, it was not clear from the play by play which was
which. Where I know the difference, I will indicate. Mostly, I don't.)

scoring:

UW Moore 10 (Fairchild, Shier) ppg 3:36
UW Mike Strobel 4 (Balkovec) shg 8:45
UW Granato 7 (Mark Strobel, Toucker) ppg 18:58

Penalties:

MTU Peca holding 2:36
MTU J. Mikesch holding 6:39
UW  Moore boarding 8:10
UW  Strobel unknown 10:36
MTU K. Peterson hooking 16:46
MTU Hanchuk roughing (4 min) 16:46
UW  Strobel roughing (4 min) 16:46
MTU Lebel slashing 17:48
MTU Ferguson roughing 19:33
UW  Buff (sp?) roughing 19:33
MTU Wright roughing 19:45
UW  Tompkins roughing 19:45

2nd period:

Scoring:

UW  Elick 4 (Doers, Tucker) 10:51

Penalties:

MTU Hill slashing (5 min) 0:44
UW  Williams slashing (5 min) 0:44
MTU Lebel crosscheck 1:37
UW  Strobel elbowing 6:49
MTU Perrault interference 7:05
UW  Rafelsky hooking 9:10
MTU Hill hooking 12:02
UW  Zent slashing 12:37
MTU Figliomeni roughing 14:11
UW  Balkovec roughing 14:11
UW  Buff holding 15:09
MTU Lebel roughing 15:09
MTU Mahachuk roughing 15:45
MTU Mahachuk roughing 18:35

3rd Period:

Scoring:

UW Zent 11 (Moore, Shier) 15:37

Penalties:

UW  Moore hooking 2:07
MTU P. Mikesch high stick 2:56
MTU Stevens crosscheck 2:56
UW  Balkovec unkown 9:52
UW  Player unk. interference 13:26
MTU Peca roughing 13:26
MTU Figliomeni roughing 13:26
UW  Balkovec boarding 16:05

Shots on goal:

MTU Caraveggio 13   9  14 -- 36
UW  Carey      10   3  11 -- 24

Power plays:

MTU 0 of 8
UW  2 of 12

Stars:

  3rd: UW Jim Carey
  2nd: MTU Luciano Caraveggio
  1st: UW Blaine Moore
  Superior Play of the Game: Luciano Caraveggio

Commentary:

Everyone who commented on the game reflected that it was a strange
game. Wisconsin demostrated superiod skills to MTU. MTU compensated
by attempting to clutch, grab, impede and rough. As a result, there
were 34 penalties. The referees (Tom Goddard and Bill Waisanen) probably
had a hard time attempting to maintain control of the game.

In the first period, the first goal was played down deep, right of
Caraveggio and shot into Caraveegio's mid-section by Fairchild. Moore
hammered the rebound in for a score. The second goal was the result of
an overt MTU mistake. Hill put Strobel to the ice in back of the MTU
goal and forgot about him. A couple of seconds later, the puck was
cleared from the back of the net but stopped in center zone by Balkovec
would spotted Strobel, now unattended, coming in front of the net.
Strobel stuffed the goal past Caraveggio.  This goal probably could
be called the turning point of the game as MTU was never in contention
afterwards. THe third goal resulted when Rob Granato brought the puck
into the MTU zone, faked out Kirby Perrault and skated past him onto the
lone goal tender.

The second period began with the two 5 minute slashing penalties that
Wendy mentioned. During this period, Wisconsin had 2 or three (I lost
count) five man advantages but failed to capitalize on them. MTU played
its best hockey when it was two men down. On one particular 2 man ad,
the 3 man MTU line was on the ice for almost two minutes. They did an
excellent job but there must have been some tired Husky puppies after
that shift. The Elick goal was of a faceoff in the MTU zone during a
rare moment of even up play. Towards the end of the second period,
Mahachuk took a couple of cheap shots from Granato and retaliated.
Mahachuk was penalized. Immediately after coming out of the penalty box
he pointed himself at Granato and threw a couple of punches to the head.
While he received only two minutes, he could have been DQ'ed. It was not a
very smart play and reflect somewhat selfishly on his part as it
crippled the MTU team starting the next period.

The third period was more of the same. MTU could not find the goal. In a
a particularly poor lapse on MTU's part, Shier, Moore and Zent powdered
Caraveggio with several successive shots until one finally went in. During
this time, the Husky's more or less just stood around and watched.

This game was UW's 13 WCHA win placing them in fourth place while it was
MTU's 13th loss fixing MTU solidly in last place.

Mancini's comments after the game reflected the fatalism that has infected
MTU fans and friends. He said he was not displeased with the effort. He
thought that there was more offensive movement on MTU's part than in
previous games. Luciano Caraveggio played particularly well. MTU consistenly
had more men in the box which could be corrected. Wisconsin is a better team.
Currently, the youth of MTU is showing: of 9 forwards, only 1 is a senior
whereas of the 12 UW forwards, 7 are seniors. We have to treat these games
as learning experiences and move toward next year.

We play UW again tonight. Knowing Oliver's Woof Theorem well, I can say only
little.

Walt Olson
MTU