From:
Charlie Slavin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charlie Slavin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 1993 09:17:45 EDT
I had the pleasure to attend last night's University of Maine
alumni hockey game at the Alfond Arena.  This was a very special
game as it was a benefit for Andre Aubut and his family.

For those of you - perhaps a majority out there - who don't know,
Andre Aubut played for Maine from 1978-9 through 1981-2 (a couple
of years before I - or Shawn Walsh - got here).  A few months ago
(correct me if I'm wrong - I'm doing this completely from memory)
Andre was completely paralyzed in a freak hockey accident.  He has
been hospitalized ever since.

The University of Maine, the hockey team, and everyone else
connected with the game donated all proceeds to Aubut and his family.
The bottom line is that $25,000 was collected.  A pretty impressive
night for college hockey and its fans.

I don't have any of the scoring, nor do I think it was particularly
important, but I'll provide some of my impressions of the game...I
know other Hockey-L'ers were at the game, and I trust they will add
their perspectives as well.

Gary Thorne (former Maine broadcaster, now the voice of the New Jersey
Devils and ESPN hockey) came up to do the announcing - he did a wonderful
job.  Before the came Shawn Walsh announced that a video tape of Andre
from his hospital bed would be shown in the lobby - he also mentioned
that it was very emotional and perhaps small children should not be taken
to watch it.  I believe they replayed the tape throughout the entire game.

Gary announced the teams that consisted of Maine alumni from the
beginnings of Maine's program (1977) to recent graduates.  (Am I confused,
doesn't Cal Ingraham have another year to play?  Hmm...maybe not...he's
listed as a junior in the '91-92 media guide.  Ooops.)  Jim Montgomery,
Maine's captain last year and MVP of the NCAA championships, got a
wonderful ovation, but I think Garth Snow (the only undefeated goalie
in Division I hockey last year) might have gotten an even bigger one.
Shawn coached the White team and Jack Semler (the first coach Maine had,
the only one besides Walsh) coached the Blue team.

Here's what I remember of the scoring.  After 1 period, White 5 Blue 1,
after 2 periods White 7 Blue 4, and after 3 (more or less, the last period
was played running time and the last minute saw the entire benches of
each team on the ice at the same time) it was White 11 Blue 7.  (Actually,
I was a bit surprised - I thought the Blue team had more firepower -
that's why I'm not a coach I guess.)

I forgot to mention that there were a few non-Maine alumni participants
including Brad Park (who didn't play but did sign autographs before the
game), Steve Leach (from UNH and the Bruins who joined his two brothers
Jon and Jay),  Ken Hodge, Jr., and arguably the star of the game,
Merrimack's former goalie Jim Hrivnak.

[I would choose Hrivnak as the star of the game because, as in most
games of this type with no body checking, the goalies are pretty much
hung out to dry - Hrivnak let in 7 goals and Snow 11 - neither are bad
numbers and each made some very impressive saves.]

Between periods 1 and 2 the Ferraro twins, Peter and Chris participated
in a "shoot-out" contest.  They alternated taking penalty shots on the
two goalies.  Chris (I *think* it was Chris) scored on his first shot
on Garth Snow and that was the *only* penalty shot made (each had 5 tries)
the next morning that doesn't seem likely, but I think it's right - pretty
darn good goal tending.

Between periods 2 and 3 we had a Hobey Baker shootout - Scott Pellerin,
Maine's '92 Hobey winner versus Paul Kariya, Maine's '93 winner.  In this
shootout Kariya shot only at Hrivnak (5 times) and Pellerin only at Snow.
It was 1-1 going into the last round of shots and Kariya - after some
consultation with Snow - beat Hrivnak a second time - Snow stopped Pellerin
and Kariya had won.

I was a bit disappointed that the fans gave Kariya a (deserved) incredible
ovation but didn't treat Scott Pellerin to the same sort of support.
Pellerin played for 4 years at Maine and was a terrific player and a
wonderful example for kids (and their parents in some cases) to follow.
I think Paul is great, but it seemed like the fans forgot Scott a bit
too quickly for my tastes.

That's about it.  The attendence was about 1200 I think (they announced
$12,000 and change from the gate) which was a bit less than I would have
expected, but $10/seat is a bit steep, particularly for families.  Previous
alumni games have been less than half that if my memory serves, but this
was certainly for a good and worthy cause.

Anyway, sorry if this was a bit long-winded, but I had a blast, and I thought
others might want to hear about one of the nice things college hockey can
do - and how the fans and players can return something to the community.
[BTW, I never did get my Pellerin Hobey Baker Award program autographed!]

With best wishes,

Charlie Slavin              [log in to unmask] or Slavin@Maine
Adminstrator for OlymPuck - The Olympic Ice Hockey Discussion List
Department of Mathematics
University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469-5752
USA