From:
Charlie Slavin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charlie Slavin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1993 09:22:55 EDT
Hi folks on Hockey-L and OlymPuck....

Since college hockey is in its summer lull and the Olympic teams
aren't quite rolling yet, I thought I'd take advantage of some
down time to make a request and an offer...

There was some conversation recently on Hockey-L concerning sets
of hockey cards produced by universities - the discussion was
primarily concerned with the legality in the eyes of the NCAA.
However, that discussion and several side discussions it
prompted got me to thinking...

I'm involved with a group called the Electronic Hockey Checklist
(EHC) Project.  Over the last couple of years we have transferred
checklists for nearly every hockey card set ever produced (from
1911 to the present) onto electronic media.  At last count, it
was something like 300-400 sets.

REQUEST:  Most of the sets we have listed are the standard sets
produced by the major companies:  Topps, O-Pee-Chee, Score, Upper
Deck...  We also have a large number of "team" sets that were
produced regionally for various NHL teams.  What we *don't* have
are listings of sets produced either for college teams or - if
any exist - outside of North America.

These would make wonderful additions to our listings.  Thus my
request is for lists of any of these sorts of sets.  I already
have listings for the Maine sets (no surprise), and thanks to Jim
and John I'll be able to do the Harvard and Michigan sets as
well.  But listings for any other college sets and *any*
international sets would be most welcome!

Please email me before sending the set to be certain that we
don't already have it - having typed more than my share of
checklists, I'd hate to have anyone do unnecessary work.

OFFERS:

     1. All the checklists are freely available.  If you want
them all, I can give you an ftp site where you can retrieve them.
If you only want a few, just let me know, and I can email them to
you.

     2. (The Good One!)  What is really slick is that we can
produce listings (sorted by player or by set) of all the cards ever
produced depicting any particular player or set of players.  For
instance, I have listings for players who played at Wisconsin,
players who played at Maine, players who played on a US Olympic
team, players who won the Hobey Baker Award, etc.  All I need to
produce such a listing is a list of the players in whom you're
interested.

So if any of you can help us out or if I can help any of you out,
please let me know.

With best wishes,

Charlie Slavin              [log in to unmask] or Slavin@Maine
Adminstrator for OlymPuck - The Olympic Ice Hockey Discussion List
Archivist for the Electronic Hockey Checklist Project
Department of Mathematics
University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469-5752
USA