From:
John Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1993 11:18:55 PST
The fact that we are e-mail based will draw a lot of attention from the
advertisers, because we tend to be more educated, and earn bigger
bucks.  Even though college students have great potential earning power
(note how the seniors start getting credit card applications before
they even have job offers), the alumn(i/ae) are where the money is.
Since ESPN (and all networks, including PBS [don't forget those
incessant pledge breaks]) are driven by money, not some altruistic
mission of serving the masses, the appeal of reaching people like
myself who still follow college hockey many years after graduation is
what the advertisers want to see.  So for every name, and better yet
E-mail address, that is added to that petition from an undergrad at
Clarkson, RPI or Maine, it would be useful to have one of us with a
'.com' suffix on there, too.

Once ESPN sees that college hockey interest isn't limited to college
campuses, they very well might start regularly announcing scores, and
maybe even picking up some game feeds (ECAC would be an obvious choice
since ESPN is based in Conn, and HE is already hooked up with NESN).

-John Hughes
Amdahl/Advanced Systems (and Clarkson '73)
Fremont, CA