From:
tony BU'92 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
tony BU'92 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1993 14:43:51 EST
I have seen a number of postings about the all-HE teams
(I even complained about a choosing myself) and wanted
to put in another two cents (defend a decision) myself.

Please Maine fans, don't hang me, but I agree that
Cal Ingraham should not have been on one of the first
two teams for Hockey East.  (PLEASE READ ON!!!)
I am not saying that he did not *deserve* or was not
*worthy* of being there, but he should not have been
there.  There are many other players who are worthy
of being there, but it is a numbers game.  It is not
a question of who is good enough, but who is better
than everyone else.  Cal is a very good player who
deserves some recognition for being the nation's leader
in goals scored, but he is not better than the two
gentlemen from Lowell.  Cal benefitted greatly from
having Kariya and Montgomery on the same line with
him (heck, even I could have scored a couple playing
with those two as my line mates).  Without him, Maine
would still be awesome, without Kariya, etc., they
would not be as good.  I would even venture to say
that the Ferraro's are better players than Cal.

When I talk about the numbers game, it also affects
other players.  Scott Cashman of BU, for example, was
a prime example.  No one argues that he is one of the
best goaltenders in the league.  Many would say that
he *deserved* to be on second-team All-HE.  He did.
But with three excellent goalies in the league this
year, only two could be selected.  It is a numbers
game, and he lost.  It also goes the other way, as is
the case with defensemen this year.  There are no
great defensemen in Hockey East this year, just some
very good ones.  Only on a year like this can a player
like Kaj Linna make second team Hockey East.

There is no third team, HE, so the *almosts* of the
first two get left out.  For the record, if there
were a third team (assuming the first two can not
be changed), this would be my vote:

F  Chris Ferraro
F  Peter Ferraro
F  Cal Ingraham
D  Kellogg, Northeastern
D  Ian Moran, Boston College
G  Scott Cashman, Maine

If anyone disagrees staunchly, let me know
(I'd also be interested to know why.)

See ya all at the Garden
Tony  BU'92