From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 11:32:39 -0600
> So, could someone please remind why "UAF" or "Alaska" resides in the CCHA
> (Central Collegiate Hockey Association, right?)

The two Alaska teams were out in the cold (no pun intended) without
league affiliations. Remaining "independent" was not viable -- they could
not get enough games scheduled, and other issues.

The WCHA and CCHA, for the good of college hockey, each took one Alaska
team. Neither wanted both teams, due to the travel burden (and probably
other factors). They made a deal that involved money and other
considerations (this is big-time college athletics -- nothing is
simple).

While great circle routes are interesting, and useful if you can fly
them, as far as I know the teams travelling to Alaska (and presumably
the Alaska teams travelling to play on the road) fly commercial when
they can, so they have to take whatever routes they can get. I don't
remember the exact route (there was some offhand mention of it in the
paper) but when Wisconsin when to Anchorage this fall, I think they flew
via Minneapolis and Seattle. It makes for a long trip.

Other teams have joined or been accepted in leagues that don't make
"geographic sense" for other reasons. Each situation has its own issues.

	    --david