From:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:35:17 -0500
For Immediate Release
Contact Dave Geringer, Sports Information Director, (508) 990-9651  [log in to unmask]
Friday, February 24, 2006

CORSAIRS RANKED FOR FIRST TIME IN USCHO.COM D III POLL

MINNEAPOLIS, MN– For the first time, the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth hockey team has been ranked in the United States Collegiate Hockey Online Division III poll.

The Corsairs, who were mentioned in the poll in each of the previous four weeks, were ranked 15th in the 15-team poll this week.

UMD has won 17 games in a row, the longest active winning streak in the nation. They currently rank first nationally in both goals-against average, yielding 1.56 goals per game, and in penalty killing, having killed 115 of 124 opposition power plays for a .922 percentage. Their winning percentage of .840 ranks third nationally, and their scoring margin of 2.84 goals per game ranks fifth.

“In the past few years, we have re-established ourselves as one of the top programs in an ever-improving conference,” said UMass Dartmouth Head Coach John Rolli. “Our team has played very well all season long, and that is reflected in our seed for the tournament, We’re 28-2 in league play during our past 30 games, and our strength continues to be our low goals-against average, low penalty minutes and exceptional penalty killing.”

The Corsairs are 21-4-0, 14-1-0 against ECAC Northeast Conference opponents. They will go for their 18th consecutive victory Saturday in their first ECAC Northeast Conference playoff game when they host Salve Regina at 4:30 p.m. at the Hetland Memorial Ice Arena

UMASS DARTMOUTH HOCKEY