From:
Thom Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 15:25:14 -0400
Mark Lewin wrote:

concerning the comments on Quinnipeac:
Admitting Quinnipeac served several purposes. It filled the gap left by
the
departure of UVM keeping the league at 12 teams (11 could have been a
nightmare).
They chose a team who was always near the top of their league even if they
did not
consistently win it. The ECACHL chose a school with a committment to
improving its hockey program but a school which appears to balance their
athletic program with their academics (much like the rest of the ECACHL
schools). Yes, you are correct that Quinnipeac will probably finish near
the
bottom in the ECAC for several years until their players/coaches get used
the ECAC style of play and until they can attract better recruits than
before (which will happen since better players should be attracted to an
ECAC school than to an Atlantic hockey school).
I believe that Quinnipeac will assimilate into the ECACHL a lot sooner
than
UVM will assimilate into Hockey East. But I think that UVM will also make
out well in Hockey East eventually. As far as other alternatives to fill
the
number 12 spot in the ECAC, Quinnipeac was second on my list. I had hoped
that RIT would be picked but I suppose that making the jump from Division
3
into the league as well as being further west geographically than the
other
schools caused RIT to be passed over.

Does anyone wish to wager against my bet that UVM will finish the 2005-06
season at least two rankings higher in HE than does Quinnipiac in ECAC?

Thom Davis
UNH '71' Go Wildcats!!