From:
"Spreeman, Cathryn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 08:50:19 -0500
I missed the re-broadcast of the game yesterday, but heck, I got a lump
in my throat just by reading in yesterday's paper the AP story that
described the game!

I recall that in 1980, I saw Frank Reynolds on the ABC evening news
report that the most exciting hockey game ever played had just
concluded.  When I saw the score, I too let out a holler! Watching the
game later was an amazing experience.  Knowing the outcome already
allowed us to relish every moment, instead of being on the edge of our
seats wondering what was going to happen.  Man, it was great!

I remember seeing a photo in the newspaper the following day of a tiny
little sign that someone had posted across the street from the Soviet
embassy (or was it the consulate in New York?) that simply said "USA 4,
USSR 3".  It was also reported that on at least one airliner, the score
was announced, and the passengers and crew erupted into cheers of "USA,
USA".

Those were the days....

Cathy Spreeman
University of New Hampshire