From:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 2004 00:01:14 -0900
UAF Hockey press release 11-26-04

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, November 26, 2004
Contact: Jamie Schanback, Sports Information Intern
907-474-6805

Nanooks Fall to Fighting Irish

FAIRBANKS, AK-The University of Alaska Fairbanks’ hockey team saw nine power-play opportunities prove fruitless in their Central Collegiate Hockey Association game against Notre Dame at the Carlson Center Saturday evening.

Despite out shooting UND 37-16, and getting two third-period goals from freshman defenseman Darcy Campbell (Airdrie, AB/Olds-AJHL) and senior defenseman Corbin Schmidt (Anchorage, AK/Tri-City-USHL), the Nanooks failed to capitalize on their nine man-advantage chances, and fell 3-2 to visiting Notre Dame.

After letting UND's Tim Wallace (Anchorage, AK/U.S. Under-18) and Tony Gill (Rochester, MN/Cedar Rapids-USHL) get goals in the first and second periods, respectively, Campbell put UAF on the board off a pass from freshman left wing Kyle Greentree (Victoria, BC/Victoria-BCHL) at 18:15 of the second period.

Wallace's marker was a power-play goal, which came while UAF's Ryan McLeod (Fernie, BC/Salmon Arm-BCHL) sat in the penalty box for a contact to the head/high sticking infraction.  Notre Dame's Jason Paige (Saginaw, MI/Compuware-NAHL) added an insurance goal, and UND's second power play goal of the evening, at 19:08 of the second stanza to improve UND's lead to 3-1.

Late in the third period it looked as if the Nanooks would make their comeback.  Freshman goaltender Wylie Rogers (Fairbanks, AK/Victoria-BCHL) pulled the puck back behind the net for sophomore defenseman Nathan Fornatraro (Calgary, BC/Calgary-BCHL). Fornataro passed the puck up the boards to Schmidt, who skated into UND's defensive zone and drilled a shot past a UND defender and their netminder David Brown (Stoney Creek, OT/Hamilton-OPJHL) to light the lamp at 18:07.

In a final drive, UAF pulled Rogers for the last minute and eight seconds but were unable to put the puck past Brown.

"We played good five on five hockey tonight, and for that I'm very happy," said UAF Coach Tavis MacMillan.  "We need to work on our power play, though, to get better."

The Nanooks fall to 5-4-0, 4-3-0, while UND improves to 3-5-4, 2-4-3.  The teams play a rematch Saturday night at the Carlson Center.  Face-off is at 7 p.m.

-UAF HOCKEY-