From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 08:50:42 -0700
More prestigious but more political and more pressure. Harvard was
picked as one of the two top teams in the ECAC last year and they
grossly underperformed through most of the year. They had a great run at
the end and they peaked in the ECAC's to win the championship, but as
late as mid February, the talk was that Mazzoleni would probably be
fired at the end of the season due to disappointing Harvard performance
over the past few seasons.

Perhaps the pressure was too much for him. Perhaps living among the
Hahvahd elite just didn't do much for him.
He may have escaped the ax this year due to their great run at the end,
but perhaps he decided to go out on a winning note rather than wait for
a down year and being shown the gate.

Good luck to Mark in his future career. Going home should relieve some
of the pressures that must be endured at the Divion 1 level. It should
be interesting to see who Harvard gets as a replacement. It could easily
trigger a domino effect in division 1 if anothe D-1 coach moves to
Cambridge.