From:
"Anthony J. Buffa" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anthony J. Buffa
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 12:49:17 -0800
Thanks to Wayne for the nice summary and history of the list.

I came on board in about 1994 when I read a little article in the RPI
alumni news about a "small but active" group of RPI hockey fans who were
active on a listserve called Hockey-L. They told you how to sign up, so
I did. Never knew what a list-serve was til then, but it was great.

I had reconnected somewhat during the 1985 season (I wonder why?) when
news of the RPI winning streak and finally the championship game on ESPN
 ... then began seeing more scores in the west coast newspapers, then
finally in 1994 it was college hockey heaven for me on the list.

I have met several of you in person over the years (Bob Stagat doesnt
count, I saw plenty of him at RPI during our undergrad days!), including
recently meeting Robin Lock the other day during his visit to Cal Poly.

I guess I may be the only one (besides perhaps Bob Stagat, his wife, his
son, my wife and Margie Rennett and her kids) who loved having the FF in
Anaheim. Not having anything to compare to, it was great. Met a lot of
folks there. My wife tried to talk me out of wearing my RPI hockey shirt
to the games (but I prevailed in spite of her calling me a "goober" --
and yes, we are still married :-) .. and folks actually knew me, came up
and asked if I was Tony!!. What a great time with all the different
schools, most of whom werent even in the FF of course. And yes, Bob,
there were 18000 at the hockey-L luncheon and only 17000 at the game.
Right. A lot of surfer dudes came in for a free lunch, I think. :-)

My personal highlight is entering an NHL contest (we were all getting
bored with no college hockey to talk about) and picking the Colorado
Avalanche (I believe that is correct) in four straight in the SC finals
in about 1994 or 1995, but really the folks are what make it the good
thing it is. I doubt I will ever make it to another FF, unless they give
the bid to SJose one of these days, you never can tell (I can just hear
some of you wincing at that prospect!)

I hope that eventually many will migrate back to the list. I must admit
I have taken a peek at some of the stuff in the USCHO chat room, and I
guess it is a bit much for me. I dont especially like name calling and
idiotic rants. To me hockey-L was more civiilized (that is a compliment
BTW) and it was great to have everyone write of their experiences at
each game.

Now thngs are different, but I hope we go on forever.

Cheers to all from SLO, CA where the temp is a wonderful 86 F outside,
perfect hockey weather.

Tony Buffa
RPI '64