From:
Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 20:17:13 -0500
Ed:

I have to disagree. Just because the arena is privately funded, it doesn't
mean that the sight lines have to suck. How much more would it have cost,
percentage wise, to have the balcony 3 feet closer to the ice, or the seats
angled at a higher pitch (just like BU's privately funded Agganis Arena)? I
have been to Pac Bell Park in San Francisco, which is privately funded, and
it is light years ahead of the new Comiskey Park, Chicago, that was
primarily built with public money.

And for those not from Boston, the issue about Kraft and building a football
stadium was more about the arrogance of the family than NIMBY. If Jonathan
Kraft (Bob's son), who was wet behind the ears back then, had kept his mouth
shut when they had the big meeting at City Hall, my guess is they would have
found a way to the build the stadium in Boston. Although, as a taxpayer, I
am glad they didn't. Public money should be spent for the public good, not
for private gain. A political aside - I'm always amused (or is it bemused)
when our president pushes for taxpayer relief, especially since he made his
biggest (or only) financial killing on the sale of the Texas Rangers . . .
after their facility was financed by public money.

Greg