From:
Thom Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 15:43:18 -0500
In a message dated 2/14/2004 12:43:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
The game was well
officiated, with only three 2-minute penalties to each team.

To which, John wrote:
I would rather think of it as "the teams behaved themselves as there were
only three 2-minute penalties to each team" - the officials don't control
the
behavior, they just police it.

Point taken. But, by "well officiated," I meant that Jeff Bunyon and his
two assistants stepped in when necessary (i.e., the three penalties
resulting from the scuffle around one net in the second), but let the guys
play otherwise. There were lots of plays that I have seen called penalties
in other games but Bunyon and company let go, which I think was good
because they were not serious infractions, did not affect the outcome of
the game, and would have really slowed things down even more so in what
was a defensive-style game, despite what the 3-3 score might otherwise
indicate. I do miss this year the wide-open, long-passing, break-away game
of recent past UNH teams.

Also, I meant to write the Lowell "Lock Monsters AHL" team, rather the
"Lochmeisters IHL" team; apologies to Lock Monsters fans. And, finally
great sound system at Tsongas; I could hear all of the names and numbers
for goals and penalties very clearly, although a seat 7 rows behind both
team benches was a plus also.  : )

Thom
UNH72
Go Cats! Go Falcons!