From:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 23:54:24 -0600
Jeff Jackson wrote:

>  My impression of
> the quote (I'll admit, it is thru Spartan green-shaded glasses, so take it
> for what it is worth), is that while there is grudging respect (again, about
> what I'll give Berenson and the U-M program!), Red doesn't want anyone who
> doesn't feel the Michigan program is superior to MSU's.

I doubt that's correct, Jeff, but he wants players enthusiastic about
Michigan.  In fact, his remark in the article equally cited both as
great programs.  He'd certainly like the recruit who's already hot to
compete against State, but, as I responded to Nathan, I think it's
mostly his preference for the student athlete who already knows what he
wants academically and avoidance of the drifter who hasn't given
academics a thought.  This article didn't focus on that like others
have.  There's also surely some enthusiasm for alma mater that's
survived from when he recruited friends to Michigan as a player.

Watch Jeff Tambellini to see whether he stays for four years.  Red and
Tambellini's dad played together in the NHL and Jeff is competitive at
both hockey and academics and was always headed from British Columbia to
Michigan.  That's the type of outstanding player with enthusiasm for the
school that Red's been able to get.

> If there was a
> "gentleman's agreement" not to recruit Canadians, it went by the wayside
> fairly quickly. From what I remember during my college years (73-77) both
> schools were between 50% and 75% Canadian, with the rest coming from
> Michigan and Minnesota....

Yes, it died as quickly as it supposedly started, around '66-'67.  But
Michigan did shift toward more Americans then, while State already had
some American standouts in the early 60's like centers Doug Volmer from
Cleveland and Doug Roberts from Detroit.

Bob Griebel