From:
Richard McAdoo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard McAdoo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:55:36 -0500
On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:52:24 -0500, Deron Treadwell
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> Does anyone know when was the last time Maine sufferred a lost weekend at
>> Alfond?  Just wondering.
>
>In the playoffs, never.
>Maine had never lost a Hockey East playoff game at Alfond Arena until
>Thursday.
>Maine was swept by BC at home in 2001, I believe.  Up until a Providence
win
>earlier this year Maine was unbeaten in something like 29 games at home.

Just to set the record straight (and brag a bit about BC):

Maine was last swept at home in 2 games on Jan. 28/29, 2000, when BC beat
them 3-2 and 3-0.  Maine went unbeaten in 28 regular games at home between
11/9/2001 (an OT loss to BU, 3-2) and 2/7/2003, when BC beat them 5-2.
This was a week before Providence took 3 of 4 points from Maine as part of
Maine's 2-5-1 record at home at the end of the 2002-03 regular season and
HE quarterfinals.

It certainly is shocking that a team that had been so good earlier this
year and so dominant at Alfond Arena could have "collapsed" so badly.
There still is plenty of talent on the team, but suddenly the defense and
goaltending have been suspect and the aura of invincibility is gone.  It
will be interesting to see how they respond in the NCAA playoffs; generally
teams with tourney experience fare better than most, but given the way
Maine played against UMass nothing would surprise me now.

-- Rick