From:
Patrick Abegg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Abegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 19:47:02 -0500
John Whelan wrote:

>Just a reminder that this is almost certainly not the right thing to do.
The committee has said that they look at individual comparisons rather than
the summed-up PWR, so you're much better off using the individual
comparisons to break the tie, as is done at

>http://uscho.com/polls/pwrcomps.php?type=1m

>Of course, in this case, all the relevant comparisons are won by the team
with the higher RPI, so the results are the same.

John's right, and that's exactly what I've done.

I was under the impression that RPI was the final tie-breaker if the final
comparison fails because of overlapping HTH wins and losses. For example:

A beats B, B beats C, C beats A. Then they're all 1-1. I'd always thought
that the 3 schools would be ranked in order of the RPI. This would also
apply to more complicated comparisons as well.

The only question is how the rule applies to a situation such as the
BU/Ferris/BC situation this week. Each has a 1-1 record against the others,
but BC has an additional loss. Once we place BC 3rd, does BU automatically
beat Ferris based on simply the HTH comparison?  John suggests that this is
the case, but I've never heard anything definitive.

As John says, it doesn't matter this week.