From:
John T Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John T Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 12:50:07 -0500
On Sun, 28 Apr 2002, Greg Ambrose wrote:

> As for the east, Worcester is already a given, to be hosted by BU.  I would
> think that it would be imperative to have the other Eastern site be within a
> reasonable driving distance of Boston since it is likely that, besides BU,
> BC, Maine, UNH and Harvard will all be in the mix to stay in the east next
> year.  One of the NCAA's primary motives to expand the tournament is to make
> more money, true?  For that reason alone, they have to make sure that the
> regional sites are accessible to the fans that will bring the biggest
> crowds.

> I know that UNH will be putting a bid in to host a regional in Manchester
> and I assume that Providence College would do the same for Providence.  I
> have nothing against Albany and the Pepsi Center but the last regional I
> attended there (1998), the crowds weren't that great despite having BU, BC
> and UNH in the field.  As for Lake Placid, lots of history, good facility,
> great town but, really, it's a long way from anywhere.  Can't see even Maine
> or UNH fans, let alone those from BC or Harvard, schlepping there in great
> numbers.

Well, this is a new twist on attendance considerations for the
regionals.  Sounds like you're saying UNH should be rewarded for the
fact that their fans won't travel outside New England by getting to
host a regional even though the other Eastern regional is already in
the Greater Boston Area, being hosted by a Hockey East team.
(According to Yahoo, Boston is 53 miles from Manchster and 46 miles
from Worcester.)
                                          John Whelan, Cornell '91
                                     http://www.amurgsval.org/joe/

Enjoy the latest Hockey Geek tools at slack.net/hockey