From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 23:38:59 -0500
Back to my original comment:
I agree that the NC$$ stated upfront that they were
intending to reduce travel. Whether this was a result of 9/11
or a way to save travel expenses or to increase attendance
is anyone's guess.

The point that took me by surprise was that once all 4 teams
get to St. Paul, they switched the 1W-2E,1E-2W brackets
to 1E-2E and 1W-2W.
What purpose does that serve? All 4 teams are in the same building regardless of who plays who.  And the tournament
has been a sellout for 9 months; they aren't going to squeak
out extra ticket sales.  What they did was reduce east vs. west matchups from 2 (possibly 3) down to 1. This change certainly wasn't pre-announced. And it doesn't serve any useful purpose.
If, as some have claimed, there is a gross imbalance between the strength of east and west,  having 2 east vs. west brackets in the semi-finals could go part way to rectifying that.
If the west is so much stronger than the east, then the semi-finals could showcase that resulting in an all-west final.
I guess that one single move just doesn't make any sense to me at all.  And although I was never a believer in the magic bullet, single shooter theory in Dallas, I don't buy the eastern school conspiracy theory  either.