From:
Keith Kannenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Kannenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 09:49:12 -0400
I'm generally a died in the wool capitalist so I have a hardtime
finding fault with people trying to get the market price for their
tickets. But I can't help but be disappointed that tickets are going
for such ridiculous prices. I'd like to have thought that people in
our little community would want to help out fellow fans. (OK, I'm a
little bit of an idealist sometimes too). If I had tickets that I
oculdn't use (which I don't) I'd certainly rather help a die hard fan
attend the games than make a few bucks. More than that, high markup
prices and low ticket availability begins to set a dangerous
precedent. $500 per seat may encourage some to buy tickets in the
future simply for the sake of resale. There are few enough tickets
available as it is without scalpers getting into the lotteries.
I'm not saying this is or will happen soon but it's worrisome.

I think the whole scalping situation underlines a point that some on
this list have been making for years now. Be careful what you wish for.
Too much exposure, media coverage and growth in the sport and we will
end up like squeakball where an ordinary fan can't get a ticket.

Keith Kannenberg
Email: [log in to unmask]