From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 1992 12:39:04 CST
Friday, 31 January 1992

	Wisconsin		0  1  3  -  4
	Minnesota-Duluth	0  0  1  -  1

			      First Period
Penalties:
	Macdonald, W, :43
	Shier, W, 2:12
	Fitzgerald, MD, 3:05 (double minor)
	Kurtz, W, 3:05
	Macdonald, W, 5:35
	Plante, MD, 6:37
	Rafalski, W, 11:56
	Starren, MD, 16:21
	Aldorff, MD, 16:21
	Ma. Strobel, W, 16:21
	Bartolussi, MD, 19:05
	Plante, W, 19:05
	Zent, W, 19:33

			     Second Period
Scoring:
	Wisconsin - Francisco 3 (Nelson, Derksen), 7:25
Penalties:
	Kurtz, W, 1:26
	Larson, MD, 3:10
	Plante, MD, 5:12
	Harwell, W, 8:35
	Fitzgerald, MD, 9:20 (double minor)
	Rafalski, W, 9:20
	Starren, MD, 11:46
	Richter, W, 11:46
	Hauer, MD, 12:23
	Balkovec, W, 15:04
	Zent, W, 19:08

			      Third Period
Scoring:
	Minnesota-Duluth - Plante 16 (unassisted), (sh), 11:28
	Wisconsin - Plante 6 (Zent, Richter), 16:55
	Wisconsin - Kurtz 10 (Pplante, Macdonald), (en), 19:04
	Wisconsin - Helgeson 3 (Shier, Fairchild), 19:37
Penalties:
	Tamminen, MD, 6:11
	Shier, W, 6:11
	Miller, MD, 9:50

Saves:
	Derksen (W)	3   6   9  -  20
	Butler (MD)	9   5  13  -  27

Power play:
	Wisconsin:	 	0-for-8
	Minnesota-Duluth:	0-for-9

Attendence:	5,599

As I said in my message last night, it was a strange game. Both teams
came out playing a tight close-checking game, and referee Jim Berlew
contributed to the slowness by calling 29 penalties. Most of the
action was not cheap, and did not involve big hits, although there was
one flurry toward the end of the second period when things looked like
they could get ugly, as both teams started loosing their patience.
Fortunatly, relative calm returned.

Neither team scored on the power play. Both teams had one, or at most
two periods of sustained pressure in the offensive end -- and neither
scored as a result.

In the first period, the linesmen made two bad offsides calls in a row
against Duluth, and two questionable non-calls against Wisconsin.
Of course, I had the benefit of TV and the comfort of my couch, while
the linesmen have to skate and keep track of everyone, their sticks, the
puck, etc.

Wisconsin's first goal came on a breakaway. Jason Francisco, a Duluth
native, came off the bench and waited near the Duluth blue line. Derksen
made a save, gave the puck to Nelson, who found Francisco at the line.
Francisco skated in on Butler and put one high over his glove hand. The
TV didn't show the play until Francisco was half-way into the zone, but
second-hand reports say that he may have been offside. Other replays
(not seen by me) were reported to be "inconclusive." Of course, that is
irrelevant, since Berlew ruled it a goal.

Duluth's goal came on a Wisconsin powerplay. Derek Plante (no relation
to Wisconsin's Dan Plante) got the puck at about the Wisconsin Blue
Line, burned Badger defenseman Barry Richter, crossed in front of the
goal and put the puck past Derksen.

It looked like overtime, as neither team had been able to get anything
going. Suddenly, Zent found Dan Plante at center ice, and gave him a perfect
pass from deep in the zone. Plante split two defenders at the blue line,
and was in all alone on Butler. He fired a hard wrist shot low to make
it 2-1 Wiscosin.

With slightly more than a minute left, Duluth called time out to plan
their extra-attacker strategy. They got the puck deep into the Wisconsin
zone, and Butler went to the bench. After a faceoff in the Wisconsin
end, the Dan Plante got the puck to Brett Kurtz up the left side.
Duluth's defense allowed Kurtz to cross the red line (thus avoiding the
potential icing problem) and he fired the puck into the open net to make
it 3-1.

33 seconds later, Shier found Harwell in front of Butler, making it 4-1.

Butler and Derksen both played very well, making big saves down the
stretch, and not giving up a soft goal.

The rematch is tonight, but isn't on TV here.

	--david
--------
david parter				university of wisconsin -- madison
[log in to unmask]			      computer sciences department