From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Oct 1998 14:41:32 -0400
>This discussion of UMinn's tradition of recruiting only in-state players got
>me to thinking....what would Woog do if an out-of-state player of, say, Paul
>Kariya's caliber approached the school with the intention of playing there?

I hope veteran hockey-lers won't mind if I recycle a post of mine from 2
years ago (Contains greater than 90% post-consumer content):

If the leading scorer from Intergallactic Amateur Hockey League perennial
champions Klingon Academy wanted to attend Minnesota, I'm sure Woog would
take him.  He might even offer him a scholarship, provided:
1) He was talented enough to merit it.
2) There were no eligibility problems transfering his grades from another
solar system, and
3) He passed the TOMOFL (Test of MinnesOtan as a Foreign Language).

However I do imagine that, if chosing between two equally talented players,
Woog WOULD give the nod to the Minnesota boy...

-Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!!!