From:
Gary Hatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary A Hatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 23:11:21 -0700
John Gabarra wrote:

> This discussion of UMinn's tradition of recruiting only in-state players got
> me to thinking....what would Woog do if an out-of-state player of, say, Paul
> Kariya's caliber approached the school with the intention of playing there?
> Could he, would he, turn that player down in the interest of a tradition that
> is harder and harder to support? Or would that player be considered a walk on,
> thereby retaining the purity of the recruiting policy??  I can't believe it
> hasn't happened yet...some kid somewhere in east podunk, tennessee must be
> dreaming of skating in Marriucci (sp?) arena...just wondering....

Greetings,

Although I am reluctant to discuss this subject as it always seems to
provoke a round of Gopher/Woog bashing, I will make some observations.
It has happened ... Frank Pieterangelo comes to mind. Now, he came in
under Buetow, but I have heard Woog say more than once that if a great
player not from Minnesota wanted to come here, he would give him a
look.  *But*, the Gopher were not looking for such players.  I have also
heard Woog say that he would consider changing the recruiting strategy
if he thought that the program was failing to be competitive.
Furthermore, didn't the Gophers attempt to land Brian Swanson?  You see,
nothing is set in stone.

My perspective is this:  The policy is unique and it works.  In spite of
last year and the national championship "monkey", there are only a few
programs that wouldn't trade their success in the last 5 or 10 years for
what the Gophers have accomplished.  If changes in the realtive quality
of Minnesota grown players requires a change in the all Minnesota
policy, so be it.  I am not yet convinced that the time has come.  I am
certainly not convinced that recruiting Canadians or New Enganders would
be terribly successful (why would it be?).  It would however, damage the
in state recruiting.  That is why I think Woog is so reluctant to
change.

Go Gophers!
Gary Hatfield