Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 1992 16:36:36 EST
unique twist of fate, indeed):

     I agree, Michigan is certainly not exempt in the cheap shot department.
Many others around the CCHA would cite a variety of Michigan players as
being "dirty".  As Hockey-L's David Smith and I have discussed, there's a
strong sense of bias associated with this.  I DO NOT think that Ted Kramer
is among this category.  But the topic here is OSU's David Smith.  Paul -
have you been snoozing througth the UM-OSU series the last 4 years?  I
consider cheap shots after the whistle, slashes to the back of opponents
legs behind the play, and late pokes and jostles with the opposing goalie
to be "dirty" tactics.  This is the ONLY play that I've witnessed from
Smith in 10+ games.  Also - explain him humming a puck into the Michigan
crowd 25 minutes before game time.
     FYI - not that it is a true barometer of goon tactics, but Smith did
lead OSU in penalty minutes last season.  I'm unsure about other years.

>6. Ryan Sittler, LW-CNichols Prep Academy, BuffaloUS high school

     Add Sittler to Michigan's 1992-93 roster.  I can't wait.

RE: Hobey Hopefuls

     I'll stick with the CCHA, because that's what I know.  There's no
question that Michigan's Denny Felsner (F) and LSSU's Darrin Madeley (G)
are the 2 premier players in the conference.  CCHA player of the year,
and possibly the Hobey, may be decided by who wins the CCHA.  If so,
Madeley has the upper hand.  As a hockey fan, I'd vote for Jean-Yves Roy
on name alone...too cool.
     As for outstanding freshman, I have to take this space to plug UIC's
John Hillebrandt.  He's the second best goalie in the CCHA and I already
fear UIC for the next three years because of him.  He went 1-2-1 against
Michigan but deserved to be 1-0-3 or even 2-0-2 (the two losses came with
:01 remaining in the 3rd and :07 remaining in OT).

US collegiate players in the NHL -

     I don't have this compiled, but I know that it could easily be done
with a copy of THE SPORTING NEWS COMPLETE HOCKEY GUIDE.  Also, most
conference offices will have this compiled for their players.

John Haeussler
Univ of Michigan('89,'90)
GO BLUE!