Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 1991 17:57:21 -0500
 Jace Reed is the University of North Dakota sophomore who had transplant
 surgery this fall. I found this article in my latest edition of "Let's Play
 Hockey". The article was written by Dan Stoneking.

 Three months ago Jace Reed was a strapping and promising junior defenseman for
 the North Dakota Fighting Sioux hockey team. He had never been in better
 shape. He was 6-3, 210 pounds, most of it muscle.

 Ironically, it was that physical condition that nearly cost him his life. More
 ironically, it was because Reed was in such good shape that he was hit by a
 rare condition doctors call exercise hypothermia.

 "It happened because his muscle density was so high," says his mother Janis.
 "He had practically no body fat. The heat in his body had built up and
 affected his liver, kidney, blood flow and lungs. He had taken only about a
 dixie cup full of water."

 <I'll summarize the rest of the article.>

 He was taken to Methodist Hospital in Rochester, MN where surgery was
 performed to relieve pressure on his brain. It was also there that he received
 his first liver transplant. There were complications and he had to have a
 second liver transplant. Then he had to have a kidney transplant. His weight
 dropped to 145 pounds but is now up to 154 pounds.

 He will be on medications to assist the transplants for the rest of his life.
 He takes 35 pills a day at a cost of $2500.00 a month! There has been an
 outpouring of benefits to help the family defray the medical costs. In Grand
 Rapids, Minn. there have been several benefits including a scheduled
 University of Minnesota junior varsity game against the Warroad Lakers.

 His mother Janis Reed said: "It is unbelieveable how people have given when
 most of them don't even know Jace."  "I don't know how we ever will be able to
 thank everybody."

 Those interested in contributing can call (701) 777-2234 to ask about the Jace
 Reed fund. (I assume this is in Grand Forks at UND.)

 Best wishes for a speedy recovery Jace!!

 Carol
 U of M
 GO Gophers!!!