From:
Nathan Boyle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 1996 12:34:33 -0400
On Thu, 20 Jun 1996, Bryan Kamrath wrote:

>         Being an adamant denouncer of hockey anywhere south of the 40th
> parallel (I'm still bitter about that whole North Stars thing).  I think
> that even though the NCAA is trying to spread college hockey around the
> country it is going to be a tough sell in Anaheim.  Even though there are
> a couple NHL teams out there I think the only market that they have for
> the college hockey game is the alumni of college hockey schools.  The LA
> crowd won't appreciate what sets the pro and college games apart (ie.
> lack of big time fights, kids playing for pride rather than money).  My
> apologies to all college hockey fans out in the "far" west, but I don't
> think there are enough true college hockey fans out there for the
> tournament to be successful

True to some degree.  However I could lend some insight into what would
happen say if Bowling Green were to make it there.  Southern CA is the
second most common destination of BGSU students right out of school.
(Second only to Ohio collectively.)  A large number of those students are
of the late 60s, 70, and 80s.  Should BG make it to that point you would
see a set of Alumni events spring up in a hurry, and a snap organization
of the alumni chapters within the region.  Though that lesser institution
in that city called Toledo will never admit it in public, no team in the
Mid-American Conference has been able to out draw the Falcons in the two
bowl games we were in back in 91 and 92.  Granted that was football, but
a national title would bring people out for us.  Now as for those of us
out here east of the west heading out there......I think you'd get people
out there because of the area it is being held in.  Even if your team
doesn't make it, spending a few days in that town is hardly a negative.

What I'm curious about is how many alumni do some of the other college
hockey  powers have out there?  A Michigan for example, or (for the sake
of discussion, because after all, it is at least technically possible)
Ohio State have people all over the place.  Lake State however may not
have the raw numbers to do the same thing.  Of course some of the big
school support hockey more than others.  But at least Ohio State fans
could drive past the Rose Bowl to see what it looks like, that might get
some of them out there!  (just a joke Bucks, just a joke, accurate, but a joke!)

We shall see....

Intended in good humor!

Nathan W.L. Boyle