From:
"Mark J. Sonnier" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark J. Sonnier
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 07:30:09 -0900
At 04:11 PM 3/11/96 -0500, Nathan Boyle wrote:

>Buddy is cited as saying he hoped that if NMU and MTU join the CCHA, that
>UAF would join the WCHA and join their sister school in Alaska, saying
>that travel for the rest of the CCHA would be much easier.  The article
>ends by noteing that a 12 team CCHA would lead to divisional play, and
>Buddy indicates that scheduleing could be made workable.

**snip**

>If UAF didn't leave the CCHA for the WCHA, we may see Oakland step up to
>Div. 1 and join the CCHA.  It has been mentioned that they are
>considering making the jump.  And it would even the numbers out division
>wise.

While I in no way speak officially for either campus of the University of
Alaska, I think this possibility would be enthusiastically greeted in the
49th state.  UAF tried unsuccessfully to follow UAA into the WCHA, citing
economies in travel, rivalries, "westernism" etc.  Perhaps a NMU/MTU jump
combined with a few seasons of the other leaguers getting used to travel to
Alaska will make this a reality.  Both Fairbanks and Anchorage really miss
the protracted in-state rivalry.

I have personally grown to love the CCHA, though, and not just for the one
referee system :)  Should these things come to pass, I would certainly miss
the likes of Michigan and Notre Dame and Lake State in Alaska.  On the other
hand, though, it would give me a legitimate reason to hate Minnesota.  Hmm...

(Just kidding, Gopher fans.  Easy on the hate mail :)

As for the currently odd-numbered CCHA, I don't see it as a problem.  I like
the fact that not all teams make the playoffs, as it makes the regular
season that much more meaningful.

My spare change,

Mark J. Sonnier, C.P.M.
UAF '90