From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 1996 00:32:20 -0100
(first: sorry if some of my messages over the last day did not wrap, I
turned off word wrap to send a box score/recap and forgot to turn it back
on.  My mistake.)

There is an interesting article in Drop the Puck (Jan 19, 1996) by Craig
Morgan.  It is about North Dakota forward Ian Kallay.  According to the
article, Kallay took classes at a community college in British Columbia
during the 1992-93 season while playing for Langley of the BCJHL.  But the
NCAA ruled that because Kallay was enrolled in a post-high school program,
his NCAA eligibility clock began ticking, leaving him with only two years
of eligibility when he enrolled at North Dakota.  That would make 1996-97
his last year to play college hockey.  Kallay is one of the Sioux's leading
scorers this season.

Kallay is quoted as saying, "When I went to (community college), I thought
the rule was that if the school didn't have a hockey program I could go.  I
just wanted to keep my head in school - I thought it would help me get a
scholarship to a Division I school in the States."

The situation was appealed to the NCAA by North Dakota and Kallay, and the
appeal was denied, but according to the article, they intend to appeal
again after next season.  North Dakota coach Dean Blais says, "It seems
pretty ridiculous that someone who was trying to prove himself as a student
is being punished.  They have rules about attending a junior college but in
Ian's case, it was a community college."

I see at least two issues here.  First, for whatever reason, we have a
student athlete, then a PSA, who wasn't made aware of the rules.  It points
out a problem that exists as to how a PSA can insure that he is following
the rules.  Many would agree that if, for instance, a PSA goes to play
major junior and then tries to play college, it makes sense that he "should
have known" that playing major junior would affect his college eligibility
(I hear few complaints whenever this situation arises).  But here, it may
not be so obvious that Kallay should have known that what he did was
against the rules (or would affect his eligibility).

More importantly, this seems to be a case where the NCAA rules are working
against a SA whose goals are to excel in his sport and get an education.
Ironically, if Kallay had chosen not to enroll in community college, his
eligibility would not have been affected at all.  Is this what we want?
Blais makes a good point in his comments.  I would add, how different is it
from an American who graduates high school and plays a post-grad year at
one of the many schools that offer such an opportunity?  Perhaps the rule
should be re-written or re-interpreted to prevent PSAs from enrolling *and*
playing at a community college?

Maybe others can comment on why they think the rule and its interpretation
is a good one.  I'm not sure, but at first glance, there does appear to be
some injustice here.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93