From:
Robin Lock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robin Lock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Nov 1994 15:57:31 EST
Friday, 11/25/94   At Appleton Arena - St. Lawrence University

SLU    1 + 2 + 2 = 5
Miami  0 + 0 + 1 = 1

First Period
12:52  SLU    Ladouceur   (B. Murphy, DiFrancesco)    PP
Second Period
 5:35  SLU    B. Murphy   (DiFrancesco, Ladouceur)    PP
11:42  SLU    Cullen      (McLaughlin, Stevens)
Third Period
 8:05  SLU    Cassidy     (B. Murphy, Stevens)
10:28  Miami  Mallon      (Schutte,  Adams)           PP
19:57  SLU    B. Murphy   (DiFrancesco, Laammanen)    PP

Saves:   SLU  Owen    7 + 10 + 7 = 24
        Miami King   11 +  6 + 6 = 23

We often hear how a team needs to "play for all 60 minutes" which
is exactly what St. Lawrence accomplished against Miami for their
best showing of the year.  All six goals (including Miami's) were
direct results of passes that really deserved the designation of
"assist".  Derek Ladouceur started the scoring after a nice cross
pass at the blue line from Burke Murphy sent him in alone against
Miami's King.  The hard shot managed to trickle between King's
legs and into the net.  Burke Murphy scored on the Saints second
power play after a cross-crease pass from DiFrancesco left him
with an open side of the net.  Tom Cullen got SLU's other goal in
the second period on a length of the ice "give-and-go" rush as he
bounced a pass off the boards ahead to McLaughlin, then took off
right up the middle, got the return pass and was all by himself
to beat King.  Actually, Cullen really deserved the "second" assist
for this play, but I suppose you can't get both a goal and an
assist on the same play, so apparently the other assist goes to
whoever got the puck to Cullen (or Joe Juneau - whoever is closer(:>).
BTW, Cullen now has four goals in the last four games after scoring
only 2 all last year.  The odd part is seeing a defenseman with
4 goals and 0 assists.

St. Lawrence continued the good pressure in the third, with
Ryan Cassidy scoring after getting the puck alone in front
via a pass from B. Murphy rom behins the net.  "Good pass -
all alone - in front - scores!"  worked next for Miami as
they spoiled Owen's shutout bid while on the first of four
power plays they enjoyed in the last half of the third period.
SLU finally got a man advantage in the last two minutes, which
stretched to 5 on 3 for the last 20 seconds.  B. Murphy took
the perfectly timed 2-on-1 pass from DiFrancesco to ice the
cake with 0:03 left on the clock.

Ref of the week?
The infamous Pierre Belanger worked this game along with
Gallagher.  When I saw the two of them come out I thought we'd
be in for a long night.  Then, even before the opening faceoff,
Pierre made his presence known by "blowing the whistle" on the
PA announcer!  Seems that they were having some trouble rewinding
the national anthem tape - we only got the last few bars of the
US anthem and none of the Canadian - usually done live by SLU
assistant coach Paul Flanagan's wife Sharon. Pierre was impatient
to get going so he gave the tape a game misconduct and whistled
for the puck to be dropped.  What will be hard for longtime ECAC
fans to believe is that we never really noticed Pierre much after
that.  I suppose that one of the best indicators of a well
officiated game is when you don't notice the refs.  Of course,
having your team play well might tend to make you less critical
of the referees.  Pierre will probably stay in town for tonight's
game against Lake Superior and return to his more "noticable" self.

BTW - SLU is now on it's first "streak" of consecutive wins in over
a year and now own a 1-0 lifetime record against Miami.

Robin Lock
St. Lawrence University