From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Nov 1994 16:33:45 EST
Sunday afternoon at Bright found the Harvard Crimson coming from
behind to win in overtime 6-5 over the St. Lawrence Saints.  I
believe that the Saints had rough justice from the refs. at the
end of the game, as they were accessed several penalties that
resulted in two 5 on 3 power plays.  The Crimson playing somewhat
better as a team came away with a big victory.

In the first period, Harvard's AJ Mleczko (Stacy Kellogg) scored with
a low blast from just inside the right point.  The shot went through
a screen and gave the goalie little chance.  The game had started slow
as both teams seemed to be tired from the previous day's matches.
The Saints tied the game when captain Andrea Blakeley tucked her back-
hand in at the far post during a four on four situation.  Blakeley
made an excellent play moving left to right across the attacking zone
and then deked the goalie.

Play throughout the game was pretty rough and in the second period
during a power play St. Lawrence took a 2-1 lead when Julie Barnett
(Michele Selzer, Corrin Champagne) finished off a nice series of pass
at the far post.  The play had developed off a face-off.  The Saints
increased their lead when Rhonda Mitchell (Blakeley, Kyla McKee) tipped
in a nice pass from Blakeley.  The play developed off a long break
in down the left wing.  Harvard got back in the game when Christa
Calagione (Holly Leitzes) snapped home a goal.  Leitzes had carried
the puck into the Saint's zone right after the previous score.

In the third, AJM (Winkie Mleczko) got a power play goal and tied the
game when her high slap shot found net from the top of the circle.
St. Lawrence took a 3-4 lead on a power play when Barnett (Selzer,
Champagne) chopped the puck in at the far post, following some good
controlled pressure.  The Crimson tied the game again on another
power play goal when AJM (Kellogg, Leitzes) completed her hat trick
by knocking home the puck after some nice passing from the point, to
the slot, to the opposite slot.  The Saints regained their lead when
Barnett (Champagne) got her hat trick off a nice setup form behind the
net, after a long break in play.  With little time left, the refs.
ended up giving Harvard a 5 on 3 power play.  The second penalty was
very dubious.  Nevertheless, AJM (WM) knocked home a rebound from her
sister's blast off the crossbar to tie the score at 5.  In overtime, St.
Lawrence found themselves down 5 on 3 again.  This time Leitzes (AJM)
nailed her right point slap shot high to the far post and won the game
for the Crimson.  A great finish was played by both teams!

St. Lawrence was a real good team.  They play well together and can
setup with some nice passing.  They had some 1-2 stuff, but mostly
relied on individuals carrying the play.  I liked their use of a
power play point shot directed low and just wide of the net for
a possible deflection.  Emily Woods lead the team on defense and
was also very expert on the point during power plays.  Renee McCarthy
was extremely good at breaking up rushes.  McKee was the other
defender who impressed me with some big plays back on the blue line.
The Saint's top line of Selzer, Blakeley and Mitchell played very well.
I particularly liked the the passing, shooting and overall presence
of Blakeley.  Mitchell also layed off some lovely passes.  Barnett,
Champagne and Anita Bessette formed the second line.  Champagne is a
gutsy performer.  With a little better skating she could become a very
fine center.  Barnett was very good on the power play, putting away
her chances.  I was very impressed with the play of the Saints.  I
see them as a mid-table team, but with their better organization,
moving up.

Harvard started the game slow and let the Saints take the game to
them.  There is still too much reaching going on and not enough
skating.  The one nice thing today was that they are starting to
turn up the ice together.  It may be a small point, but I feel the
better teams always seem to be able to do that.  It indicates every-
one on the team is on the same page.  Progress!!!  The woman of the
match for me was Holly Leitzes.  The winning goal was nice, but the
the skating and nice feed to bring the Crimson back to within one
was even more important.  Add to that her usual tough defensive play
and you have a splendid performance by Leitzes.  The other player
that impressed me a lot today was Jenny Duval.  Now that she is
getting regular ice time and playing on the penalty kill teams, she
is starting to blossom.  Duval was zipping around the ice making some
good heads-up plays all afternoon.  Kate Schutt is likewise seeing
more time and playing on the shorthanded teams and is excelling.
Christa Calagione made a number of good rushes.  She still seems
tired, but she is starting to move.  Overall, it was a good team
effort.  It was a big win.  During this first year with new coach
Katey Stone I do not expect many big wins, as the team has too much
learning to do.  That makes this win that much more special for the
team.  Allez!

/
 good shooting
 rhun