From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 1994 08:49:00 EDT
In THE boringest game I've ever been to, Western Michigan
defeated Waterloo, 6-0, last night.  Attendance was about 1200.
I'd argue to reduce it to 1180, because the visiting team never
showed up.  There should have been a refund for lack of
entertainment.  The Warriors were completely overmatched.
Their offensive philosophy was ice and change.  Western
looked good at times, but for the most part just went through
the motions.  They scored a couple of garbage goals, and
also strung together a couple of nice passing plays resulting
in eye pleasing tallies.

I don't think Waterloo ever outnumbered Western in the Bronco
zone...even when the Warriors were on the power play.  Waterloo
never got a breakaway, 2-on-1 or 3-on-2.  They didn't do much
hitting either, so it was a walk in the park for WMU.

I've penciled in Western defenseman Steve Duke on my CCHA
All-Rookie team.  The kid can play.  I've seen him twice and
I'm already not looking forward to facing him for four years.  No,
he's not Brian Leetch or anything, but he quarterbacks WMU's
#1 power play unit and also plays shorthanded.  He appears
to play his position well, and shows a great deal of composure
all over the ice.  Maybe more rigorous competition will rattle
him, but he looks like a real jewel for WMU.

On other topics, I think at least 50% of Kent players with remaining
eligibility have transferred and are playing elsewhere.  I don't
have a complete listing, but in the CCHA there is Dean Sylvester
at MSU, Quinn Fair at BGSU and Jim Mitchell and Colin Muldoon
at Ferris State.  Mark Kotary is at St Cloud State, Jason Watt at
Minn-Duluth, Claude Morin at Clarkson and David Dartsch at
Mass Lowell.  [Most of these have been mentioned on H-L before.]
Also, Mike noted a former Kent player on Concordia's roster,
I believe.  I also think there are a few more Golden Flash refugees
in the WCHA.

Lastly, as to the top lines in the country, MSU IS loaded...but I'll
toss two more into the pot.  I don't know who's playing with who,
but Clarkson must have a solid #1 line with the likes of Morin,
Marko Tuomainen, Patrice Robitaille, etc.  And Michigan's top
trio of Kevin Hilton, Brendan Morrison and Mike Knuble were a
combined 63-66--129 last year...with Hilton on the 3rd line and
the others on the 2nd.  Playing together and getting #1 line ice
time should push them near 200 points.

John Haeussler
Univ of Michigan
WARNING: Do NOT schedule Waterloo.