From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 1994 13:28:38 EDT
This morning's T-U offers Bob Croce's perspective on the 1994 RPI Engineers.
Croce writes that the new edition Engineers hope that the rest of the hockey
world continues to NOT think highly of the team.

"It's much better this way," said junior center Brian Richardson."There's
less pressure on us and I think it's been a much more relaxed preseason".
(As an aside, last year's team certainly seemed overtaken by the pre-season
hype, as they promptly lost their first game against a supposedly weak
Merrimack club-no slight intended Mike.)

Added junior right wing Tim Regan "I think we've shown, anyhow, that we're a
much better team when we consider ourselves underdogs."

Croce continues and comments on the different coaching styles between
Dan Fridgen and Buddy Powers.  According to Croce, Powers' system was
basically to turn the puck up ice, switch on the jets and go.  Fridgen likes to
use the blackboard more.

"I hope we're going to be good.  From a team perspective, once we get the
chemistry going and jell together, we should be a tough opponent," said
Fridgen.

Croce predicts that this crop of recruits is one of RPI's best in years, but
of course last year there weren't any.  While all at this point is conjecture,
I would comment on how the recruits looked at the Red/White scrimmage on
Saturday.

The battle for starting goalie seems open at this point, although I would bet
that Mike Tamburro will get the starting nod for Saturday's contest with
McGill.  I am also sure that Brian Massotta will get playing time on Saturday
as well.  Neither goalie was especially impressive at the scrimmage, although
I don't know what you can judge from watching the team skate against each
other.  (I do know that it was absolutely freezing in the stands watching
them play however.)

Freshman defenseman Bryan Tapper (6-2 185) stood out in my mind, at least in
terms of his defensive play.  But then I would have an instant love for any
RPI defenseman that is 6 foot plus.  It would be a significant development if
Tapper can fill the shoes of departed defenseman Brad Layzell.

I also liked the play of forward Doug Battaglia, (6-1, 190) who may be able
to add a little muscle of front.  Last season the Engineers never seemed to
be able to score the ugly goals--most of their goals were picture-perfect
plays, but unfortunately there are only just so many of those kind of plays
each game.  The other larger freshman forward, Eric Healy (6-0, 185) may
also be able to play the role of screener/troublemaker up front.

Other recruits include defenseman Chris Aldous (6-3, 190), who for some reason
didn't stand out as much as Tapper, and Pat Brownlee, (6-0, 185.)

Returning key players include forwards Brian Richardson, 23-29-52, who should
be a lock for all-ECAC this year, Tim Regan (12-19-31) Jeff Brick (19 goals)
and Kelly Askew, the perennial ECAC pick as top defensive forward.

Anchoring the defense will be Adam Bartel, hopefully recovered from the knee
problems which cut down on his playing time last year.

In a separate article, Croce picks the order of finish in the ECAC this year:

1. Vermont
2. Clarkson
3. Harvard
4. RPI
5. Union
6. Brown
7. Colgate
8. St. Lawrence
9. Princeton
10.Cornell
11.Yale
12.Dartmouth

Virtually all the predictions have the same top four, including my own, which
names Harvard in first, and the Catamounts in second.  Look for Union to
compete for home ice.  Also, Colgate could end up in the mix, if the goalie
tandem of Matt Wieder and Jason Gates manages to improve over last season's
spotty play.

The drought is finally over!
                     _
             "NYS   // Hockey"
         Go 'Gate  //   Brian Morris
           Go RPI //      Albany, NY
          (______/

The above opinions are those of the poster alone, with no representation
that they have any value whatsoever, or that the content will prove
interesting to anyone currently living, or otherwise.