From:
Rick Scero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 1994 13:39:43 EDT
*Message:
From: SCERO at OLEC
Date: 10/17/94 9:05AM
To: INTERNET:[log in to unmask] at OCF_INFORM
Subject: Re[2]: Message from Internet
Contents:
> >How does the Junior A level work?
>
> >Can someone still be in high schooland play in Junior A?
> Answer: Yes, if you have the ability, you can play Jr A while in Jr. High.

-* Correction:  Only if you're a really old Jr. High student.  Junior "A"
-* (i.e. USA Hockey's Junior "A", not the CHL's Major Junior A)  is for
-* amateur players between the ages of 16 and 20.

Correction of the Correction:
USA Hockey only mandates a maximum age limit for all age brackets it oversees.
If there is a 12-13 year old player with the size, skills and desire to play at
this level, there is nothing in the USA Hockey, CHL, or CAHA rules which
prohibit this.

> >How does Junior A enable a player to keep his NCAA eligibility?
> Answer: Defer this answer to the college elig professionals

-* Because they are not paid to play.  The players in Junior "A" are playing
-* to earn scholarships and get noticed/drafted by the NHL.

This is also not correct, some players on Canadian Jr. "A" teams are paid.  I
know this from expirence, I played there.  How does a player under contract to
an NHL club then get sent back to his Jr. "A" team?  Do they quit paying him
during this time? I doubt to many agents would let this slip by in negotiations.

> >I assume they are not paid.
> Answer: Some do get paid, some are provided with jobs, all get a weekly/daily
>         stipend for food etc.

-* Correction:  None are paid for playing.  Players that have not graduated
-* from high school are required to attend.  Players that have graduated
-* high school are required to attend college at least part-time.  If they
-* only go part-time, they're required to hold a part-time job.  You're not
-* allowed to just play hockey once or twice a week and then sit on your
-* butt the rest of the time.

Again, this is not the case in Canada where the majaority of Jr. "A" teams are
loacted. Some individual teams may require this, but it is not mandated by the
league unless it has been changed in the last few years.  The players don't sit
on their butts "the rest of the time.", they work out and prepare for their next
"once or twice a week" hockey.  On most Jr "A" teams in Canada, players practice
or have team workouts everyday, so this once or twice a week is really 6-7 days
a week.

> >Are the players mainly high school graduates?
> Answer: No, many of them never graduate from college. At least in the past.
> This seems to be changing though.

-* Correction:  Players are mainly high school students (see above).

Players are manily high school age, and as I said, it does appear that the trend
has shifted to players staying in school. This was not the case up to a few year
ago.

Rick Scero