From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 1994 13:27:30 -0500
>Unless they've changed the format this year, everyone on the list is now
>thoroughly confused.  MSU is not playing at home!!!  The 5 and 6 seeds are
>sent to the OTHER region.  If last year's format is still in play, the Spartans
>are playing New Hampshire in Albany with the winner facing Harvard.
>Northeastern plays Wisconsin in Albany with the winner facing Boston.  Mass-
>Lowell plays RPI, in Munn, with the winner going up against Minnesota.  LSSU
>faces off against Western with the winner facing michigan.  This is how it was
>bracketed last year.  They may have changed.

The FORMAT hasn't changed, but their definition of "east" and "west"
seeds have!

Still, we have 4 west teams in the west, with 2 crossing over from the
east. Likewise in the east: 4 east and 2 west. But in the past they
reported #3 east seed played the #6 *west* seed, #4 west played #5
east, and so on.

This year, all of the teams playing in Albany are EAST seeds (even if
they are west teams). Thus, we have #3 east playing #6 east.

Another new twist this year is that after determining the two
cross-over teams, they re-seeded within that region. Thus, UML is
seeded above LSSU. Under the old system, UML and N'ea would be forced
to be 5th and 6th seeds in order to get to Munn.

If you insist on using the old definitions, then the seedings look like
this:

West
1. Michigan
2. Minnesota
3. Mass-Lowell
4. Lake Soo
5. Western Michigan
6. RPI

East
1. BU
2. Harvard
3. UNH
4. Wisconsin
5. Northeastern
6. MSU

with 5 & 6 seeds crossing over to the other site.

The commitee figured out the cross-overs for you and called all of the
teams playing in the east "east seeds" and in the west "west seeds".
They were trying to make your life a little bit easier. (^;

Keith