From:
Ben Cloutier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Cloutier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Mar 1994 13:30:37 EST
If someone has mentioned this, I'm sorry for repeating it.  I just got
bac from break and I'm getting caught up.

I can't imagine Maine would be invited to the NCAAs.  But I read in the
Boston Herald that a NCAA official was quoted as saying that Maine is
one of the teams under consideration.  He said that the selection
committee looks at the on-ice record.  So the selectors consider Maine
a 17-15-4 team.

I believe then that if they disregard the forefits (I know I should know
how to spell that by now, sorry if it is incorrect), doesn't that put
Maine tied for second or third place in the Hockey East regular season?
If that is the case, the selection committee could ignore Maine's loss to
BU as a first round elimination, since without the forefits, they wouldn't
have played eachother until HE's final four.

The fact that Maine is the defending national champion could also boost
thier stock to the committee.

Of course this isn't anywhere near the same team as last year's.  And
this year has been mediocre with a poor final half to the season.
They did beat Clarkson and SLU on the road, swept UNH at home, tied UML
twice at thier place.  But they were 0-4-1 against BU.  If you can't
beat the best in conference, why should they be invited to beat the
country's best.

I still think Maine could win it all if given the chance.  But this is
not the year.  I have to say that I got a really good chuckle when I
read that Boston Herald piece.  Just when you think it's finally over,
someone says it isn't.

Thoughts from the pine tree state.

Ben