From:
James Old <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Old <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 1994 17:09:06 EST
Earlier in the year, someone mentioned that the Western
Michigan PA announcer was sometimes in trouble with the
CCHA and/or NCAAs.  After going to the Lake
Superior/Western Michigan game last night, I can see
why.  This guy is extremely annoying.  There seems to
be a great deal of time doing various promo type
announcements.  I don't mind the PA hyping the next
afternoon's WMU basketball game, except that he did it
DURING THE PLAY.  I thought this was entirely out of
line, not to mention against the rules.  There were
also several announcements that bordered on outright
advertisements.  For example:  "such and such" WMU
event is sponsored by "such and such" restaurant or
whatever.

I was also not pleased that when the refs called
coincidental minors in the 2nd period, the PA felt the
need to explain to the crowd that "both teams will
remain at full strength and no penalty time will be
displayed on the scoreboard."  Has this guy been
listening too much to the CBS dudes doing Olympic games
or what.  It's not like hockey is a new sport at
Western.  Is this done at other rinks?

Generally, the PA announcer just felt the need to make
every announcement into a huge show.  Simple end of
penalty announcements and last minute to play
announcements became major theatrical affairs.  I'd be
willing to cut some slack on those kinds of things, but
this was just out of hand.

James Old
U. of Notre Dame