Sender:
From:
Ralph Christopher Slate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 1994 03:37:00 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
Glenn W. Gale <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>     In the third, Clarkson's J. F. Houle was felled by a cross-check (I
>think from Pascoe - no penalty).  He was down for a few minutes, and
>tended to by Clarkson's trainer and Coach Morris.  I hope someone who was
>at the game can tell me that the crowd were chanting "Houle" (as they
>might in Potsdam) when he finally got up and skated off, but it sounded
>like a hearty chorus of boos over the radio.  I would consider this most
>unfortunate.

        Those sounds you heard were indeed boos - and well justified
in my opinion. There was a penalty called on the play, if it's the
same one I remember. The Clarkson player had a breakaway, with an
RPI player diving to try to disrupt the breaking player. The RPI
player's stick made contact with the puck, knocking it away, and then
in the process knocked down the Clarkson player. RPI was called for
a penalty. If I understand the rules correctly, since the puck was
touched first, there is no penalty. The boos were at the ref.

     I wish I had seen the last goal.  Since Coach Morris certainly isn't prone
>to excessive complaining to referrees, it seems to me his gripe was quite
>likely legitimate (the radio announcers also seemed to think the goal should

I saw the reply on the 11 o clock news. The RPI player was driving to the net
with a Clarkson player defending him closely. The Clarkson player caused
the RPI player to be pushed into the net. The goal was indeed scored with
the RPI player in the crease, but the referee has the discretion to make no
call if the player was pushed into the crease, which was the case. Also,
the fact that the Clarkson goalie was down with an apparent injury should
not factor in here because the play happened so fast that it could not
possibly be deduced that he was hurt in the time frame allowed - it just
looked like he went down to make the initial save.

Ralph