Sender:
From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 1994 16:34:00 PST
Although the don't all deal with college hockey, here are the 'key
proposals', as outlined by the ANN ARBOR NEWS, being considered at the
current NC$$ Convention in San Antonio.

Proposal 12
Identifies sports such as archery, team handball, badminton, bowling, crew,
ICE HOCKEY and squash as "emerging sports," allowing schools to sponsor them
to provide more athletic opportunities for women.

Proposal 17
Would give athletes five years of eligibility and do away with redshirting.
 [So much for Steve Shields' untouchable victory total.]

Proposal 24
Would ban in-person scouting of opponents in football and basketball.

Proposal 30
Eliminates the position of recruiting coordinator.

Proposal 42
Allows men's basketball to offer 14 scholarships, restoring one of the two
scholarships that were taken away by the NCAA Presidents Commission.  [When
was the last time you saw a team use 14 players in a basketball game?  If
these proportions were transferred to hockey, we would have 30 scholarships
and 5 assistant coaches.  Give me a break.]

Proposal 44
Limits football teams to 105 players.  [Shouldn't there be a proposal 44B
limiting football teams to 60 players?  Come on, the NFL gets by with far
less than that.  Not only do football teams have a bizillion players, but
they have about half a bizillion scholarships to spread around.]

Proposal 120
Would allow basketball players to make themselves available for the NBA
draft and then have 30 days to decide whether to turn pro or remain in
school.  [What's that?  I've been selected by Denver?  Well, I guess I can
stay at Hoops U. with my full ride scholarship, $20,000 pocket money, new
car and condo in the 'burbs for ONE more year.]

Proposal 127
Would prohibit teams from staying in hotels on the nights before home games.
 [Let's drop the hotel thing entirely.  Each home team player has to lodge
one visiting team player.  It worked in high school.  :-]

  John H
  U Mich
  "To be honest with you, I was most impressed by Mike Knuble."
  -- LSSU goaltender Blaine Lacher when asked who was a better player, Brian
Wiseman or David Oliver.