Sender:
From:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 1994 02:55:05 EST
Comments:
Warning -- original Sender: tag was [log in to unmask]
In article <[log in to unmask]>, larry latour
<[log in to unmask]> says:

>Has anyone considered the fact that these "kids" are playing in
>THE OLYMPICS, and that such an experience is worth 1000 times as
>much "academically" as classroom time.  I should think that
>Institutions should not only encourage such experiences, but
>find a way to give academic credit for participation in such
>activities.

Life is full of sacrifices. If an athlete wants to be in the Olym-
pics, he/she must be willing to sacrifice a year from the college
sports scene if he/she isn't able to carry a full course load.

I don't have anything against college athletes going to the Olym-
pics. I do, however, have a problem with the special treatment they
receive when it comes to academics and being allowed to return to
their teams back home.

The Ferraros haven't been with Maine since the season began. Why
should they be allowed to come back and bump off the kids who have
stepped forward in their absence? What about the other teams in the
league? The Ferraros are being exempted from having to take a full
course load because they took part in the Olympics?

Colleges should NOT give credit to students for taking part in
the Olympics or for sailing around the world. Pretty soon students
will be lining up to get credit for the vacations they took to
Aruba during Semester Break.

>Any argument about the "immorality" of coming back and playing
>for their school after such an experience just doesn't cut it.

Again, what really makes the Olympics so special that athletes
should be allowed to return without having to take full course
loads? Students who take up to six credit hours of courses here
at Maine can't even get a sports pass to see a hockey game. So
why should they be allowed to play?

Ryan Robbins
Stodder Hall
University of Maine