Sender:
From:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1992 11:51:54 EST
I will, once again, be at the Ice Rink tonight to watch the Bucks take on the
Lakers from the Soo.  A cold front has moved in and sent temperatures
plummeting just so LSSU can feel right at home.

This match-up should be intersting because as Keith mentioned, the result last
February was an OSU sweep of improbable proportions, 7-4 and 8-2.  I will never
forget watching the LSSU radio announcers call the game.  I don't think I have
seen two people shake their heads that much in 2.5 hours as those two did...thy
probably had concussions by the end of the weekend.

The Lakers obviously rebounded quite well from the losses, winning the rest of
their games for the national championship, but there are a few things that
aren't forgotten:

1.  The losses took them out of the running for the regular season CCHA title.
2.  Darren Madely was injured and Blaine Lacher took both losses in what really
was a very poor performance by him, especially in the 7-4 loss.
3.  The 7-4 game featured the heavyweight championship of the CCHA as OSU's Rob
Peters mixed it up with LSSU's Jeff(?) Peters in a battle of 6'+, 210lb'ers.
Both were ejected.
4.  The 8-2 game featuerd a 7-0 OSU lead, 3 bench minors on LSSU, about 10
minutes of play in the third period with Lacher on the bench and the LSSU
net empty (OSU scored empty net goals 10 minutes apart in the third period),
and the ejection of the LSSU trainer who shoved a ref, and then subsequently
gave the finger to both sides of the OSU Ice Rink as he walked out.

Essentially, both nights were a complete embarrassment for a team and program
known to have more talent and more class than they displayed that weekend

However, OSU sports a very different line-up, and this will be a good gauge of
how competitive this young team will be.  If OSU is to have any chance of
repeating last year's upsets, the freshmen will have to play solid hockey,
especially getting back on defense, and goalie Tom Askey (fr.) will have to
have the games of his life.

Should be a fun night in Columbus. :-)

--
Dave [log in to unmask]