Sender:
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2007 01:05:21 -0500
7bit
From:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Hampton, Nathan E. wrote:
> What did I just see? Denver scored to pull within 3-2 of St. Cloud not quite half way through the game, and the camera panning the crowd shows a score of people one-half to one-third my age all holding glasses of beer!! Darn am I jealous, and now thirsty. Now I assume this is an off-campus arena, and as an off-campus arena they can sell whatever, including beer, during the regular season. I imagine during the playoffs, not only is beer illegal to sell but it is illegal to bring cow bells into the arena. Locals, what do you know of being there? Heck, if you can buy beer, then I will go there next year since it is a common destination for "away trips" for the Huskies (as was Brown County Arena which was vastly superior in the beverage department vs Kohl Center).
>
> Thanks,
> Nathan Hampton

\
So Nathan, you weren't real clear about the cause for your jealousy.  Is
it the beer thing or the age thing?

When I lived in Fort Worth and enjoyed the 657-mile one-way drive to
catch every game Michigan played at the Omaha Civic Center (plus one
Saturday night Ohio State game I couldn't resist racing to right after I
listened to Friday night's 3-3 tie on the Internet), I came to believe
there's nothing wrong with serving beer at games if you approach it
right.  Not only were those Nebraska people friendly and fun to be
around, but I never saw a single one who'd drunk a beer fire rounds into
the air or do anything threatening.  I attribute that to the fact that
the Civic Center also sold bratwurst.  As one whose siblings were all
born in Sheboygan Wisconsin and understands the value of bratwurst
captured/shipped/stolen/whatever from the Sheboygan Sausage Company, I
think the NCAA would be justified in passing a "Bratwurst Amendment" to
its beer rule.  Not only should it permit the sale of 1.5 beers with
each brat, it should *demand* the sale of 1.5 beers with every brat.
Having a brat without a beer is barbarian and shouldn't be tolerated.
And how else will we civilize barbarian cultures (you know, like Boston
hockey fans) if we don't encourage them to eat proper.  I think it's a
worthy goal.

Bob Griebel

P.S.  Did you know you can also get buffalo steaks on the north side of
Omaha?