Sender:
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 01:17:08 -0500
From:
"Hampton, Nathan E." <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
William Sangrey makes note of some interesting (aka bullshit) points from the NCAA letter:
(1) Apparently a priority number of 1 was not good enough again this year.
***I hope Bill means "1" as in first time (aka virgin) applicants because for those who have been doing this for 9 or so years, I would hope no one of those get zero tickets. Yes, I got my four.
(2) half of the tickets have been set aside for "the four participating institutions, the NCAA membership (e.g.
ADs, coaches and various committee members), the host institution, the local organizing committee and other groups affiliated with the NCAA."  That seems like a lot of non-fan tickets to me.
***Yeah, to me too that seems like alot of "nonhockey fan" tickets but to one degree or another, that is a fixed number of tickets, leaving the number for the "lottery" equal to "size of the arena" minus "fixed number set aside". If that is the case, then lets hope all future NCAA frozen fours are at the largest arenas in the nation.
(3) Also interesting is a suggestion that they may change the distribution of tickets, possibly to totally random lottery (no priority for past attendance),
***This is not interesting but pure bullshit. Why offer these suggestions in the letter? My bias against the NCAA says they have already decided to ax the lottery tickets (see #2 above since that may leave more tickets for the NCAA to distribute by their own whims and deals). Note the factual stupidity of the NCAA when they suggest that "all applicants will have the opportunity to submit up to a maximum of 10 application to increase their chances being selected for tickets." This is abhorrent stupidity, because if everyone (or even the average fan) submits 10 applicants then their odds of winning change from one in 9000 to 10 in 90,000. So your odds of winning do not increase at all. Welcome to the world of the mushroom -- the NCAA is keeping us all in the dark and shoveling shit on us to keep us alive.

Note that the "Note" on the "priority ticketing system" was one-third to one-half of the letter. No one should take this lightly. If we are smart, we would some how organize a letter, email, or other campaign to the NCAA expressing our support of the current system. If we are not smart and do nothing and let the NCAA make their own uncontested decision, then we are mushrooms.

Nathan Hampton