Sender:
From:
"John T. Whelan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 2004 16:51:11 -0600
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, Benjamin J. Flickinger wrote:

> --- You wrote: ---
> Obviously I'm missing something.  Why does anything have to change?  I
> suppose VTs travel partner could have an unfair advantage if teams
> didn't/couldn't replace the "other" night with an out of conference
> game. just wondering, wayne
> --- End of quote ---

> We had a controlled experiment a few years back, when UVM's season
> ended prematurely due to the hazing scandel. Dartmouth basically got
> screwed, having to play twice each weekend while their opponents
> only had one game to gear up for. This was especially troublesome
> the 2nd night.

Except that Dartmouth never had to play on consecutive nights (aside
from the final weekend when Wayne State filled in as their "Travel
Partner" in the North Country) because Bob Gaudet pissed and moaned
until the ECAC rescheduled every offending game to a Thursday or
Sunday.  The unreasonable part of this was that the Dartmouth-Cornell
game at Cornell was rescheduled from Friday to Monday on about two
days' notice.  (The Dartmouth-Colgate game that Saturday couldn't be
moved to Sunday because it was being televised.)

So the people who really got screwed were Cornell fans who came in
from out of town for the weekend thinking they were going to see two
games, only to have the only game played end up Monday night.

                                          John Whelan, Cornell '91
                                     http://www.amurgsval.org/joe/

Enjoy the latest Hockey Geek tools at slack.net/hockey