Sender:
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 23:26:33 -0500
Saturday, November 23, 2002

MICHIGAN TECH DROPS HEARTBREAKER, 2-1, AT #9 MINNESOTA

MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. -- Minnesota scored twice in the third period to
erase a 1-0 Michigan Tech lead as the ninth-ranked Gophers gained a
2-1 victory in Western Collegiate Hockey Association play Saturday
evening at the Mariucci Arena.

Tech's Chris Conner continued a stellar weekend as he put home the
lone goal of the opening period in shorthanded fashion. The rookie
knocked the puck away from a Gopher defender in the neutral zone and
raced up the ice to tip it between the legs of Gopher netminder
Travis Weber. The goal came at 15:07.

After a scoreless second period, Minnesota scored on their eighth
power play chance of the game at 9:09 of the third period after a
questionable call (there were several) to Tech's Chris Durno. The
goal came from UM netminder Paul Martin through traffice at 9:09 of
the stanza. It was just :29 later that the Gophers got the
game-winner. Martin made a nice move around a Tech defender in the
slot, slid the puck to Dan Welch, who beat Ellsworth.

The Huskies had a couple of good chances on a rush midway through the
period, but the Gophers kept the Huskies at bay most of the rest of
the way, including in the final :34 with Ellsworth pulled for an
extra attacker.

"It's a bit frustrating right now," said Tech Head Coach Mike
Sertich. "We played two pretty good road games but didn't get a
point. I like some of the things I'm seeing though. We had some
really good performances on the weekend."

Minnesota had a 31-15 shots on goal edge in the game, including a
13-6 bulge in the third period.

Tech returns home Friday and Saturday (Nov. 29-30 for a two-game
non-conference series against Wayne State.

NOTES: Minnesota had eight power plays, compared to just four for
Michigan Tech . . . Each of the four games between Tech and Minnesota
this season were decided by a goal . . . Rookie Chris Conner took
over the team point lead with a pair of goals on the weekend.