Sender:
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 10:54:39 -0500
Friday, November 22, 2002

HUSKIES FALLS JUST SHORT AT #9 MINNESOTA

MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. -- Michigan Tech generated scoring chances, got
rock-solid goaltending from sophomore Cam Ellsworth, but fell, 4-2,
to ninth-ranked Minnesota Friday night in Western Collegiate Hockey
Association action at the Mariucci Arena.

"I give our kids credit," said Tech coach Mike Sertich. "We got
behind 2-0 and really rode Cam's shoulders in the early going, but we
just kept playing. And we got stronger and stronger as the game went
along. We're still learning how to win these tight games and we're
headed in the right direction."

Ellsworth did hold the Huskies in during much of the first period,
with three particularly big saves, including two on the Gopher's Troy
Riddle. Minnesota took a 1-0 lead at 8:14 on the power play as Matt
Koalska walked out in front from behind the net and beat Ellsworth.
UM made it 2-0 just 1:10 later as Dan Welch moved to the middle, got
Ellsworth down, and put one in on the backhand. The Huskies got back
in the game with just :58 left in the period as Frank Werner fed the
puck ahead as he was changing and it resulted in a Brett Engelhardt
goal off Colin Murphy's initial shot. Minnesota outshot Tech 14-7 in
the opening period.

The Huskies, who turned the tables and outshot Minnesota 15-8 in
period two, tied the game at 1:50 of the middle stanza as Chris
Conner cut toward the middle and put the puck between Travis Weber's
legs. The play started off a hustle play by captain Brett Engelhardt
in Tech's own zone. Engelhardt was able to get to the puck and fend
off Paul Martin to feed it up to a streaking Conner. Minnesota went
back in front at 3:14 as Jake Fleming tipped in a shot from the point
. Tech had several chances to tie the game, including a couple by
rookie Chris Conner, but the hosts held the lead after 40 minutes.

It was a scoreless third period until an empty net goal by the hosts
sealed the win.

Tech outshot Minnesota 34-31. The Huskies were 0-for-4 on the power
play and Minnesota was 1-for-5.

The two teams meet again Saturday at 7:05 p.m. (CST) in the
conclusion of the two-game series.

NOTES: Senior forward Chuck Fabry and freshman defenseman Pekka
Saittakari are on the trip with the team but did not dress for the
game . . . Former Tech standout Jim Carroll (1986-90) did color
commentary on tonight's broadcast with Dirk Hembroff . . . Bob
Fischer & Dean Carpenter attended the game as did Wes Frahm and Nate
Larson.