Sender:
From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 14:20:40 -0400
On 19 Oct 2002 at 1:49, Patrick Abegg wrote:

> UVM goalie Shawn Conschafter stole the show in BU's home opener
> tonight, making 42 saves as the Catamounts and Terriers played
> through a 1-1 overtime tie.

I agree.  Despite a number of shots being regular saves, BU had a good
dozen shots which required Conschafter to make great saves.  Overall
the Cats looked like a good team last night and it may turn out that
the 10-0 loss to UNH was an aberration when the season is over.  It
will be interesting to see how they do tomorrow afternoon at the
Heights.

> First impressions by a long-time BU fan are that this could be a
> powerhouse team come second semester. The defense is very fast and
> mobile - one of the highlights of the night was Freddy Meyer chasing
> down a UVM forward on a breakaway. With the exception of Fields, who
> has yet to give up a non-power play goal this year, there are no
> stars on this team. The team misses the senior leadership that
> graduated, and it will take time to come together. But once they do,
> there are 12 forwards on the ice who are interchangeable, as are the
> six defensemen, which will provide major headaches to teams trying
> to stop them. The best sign was that the freshmen looked at least as
> good as the returnees. This team lacks flair and attitude (John Sabo
> and Freddy Meyer combined for no penalties and no after-the-whistle
> scrums, to my memory) which is unusual for a Jack Parker team, but
> it may well be one of the most enjoyable to watch.

I thought BU looked good last night, but I was disappointed that the
defense was not able to clamp down on the Cats in the third period as
they had in the first and second.  Still, the defense looked good
overall and did not give up an even strength goal again.  Captain
Meyer also stayed out of the penalty box for a second game and only
has 1 for 2 on the season.  In fact only one penalty was called on a
BU defenseman for the game and only 5 total.  Last year after three
games BU was 34 for 76; this year after three games BU is 25 for 50.
Hopefully this trend will continue for the rest of the season.

I was also disappointed with the powerplay as BU went 0 for 7 on the
night.  They looked good in moving the puck, but I thought they took
far too few shots on net, and usually waited to long when they did
attempt a shot (the game summary shows BU getting only 10 shots on net
for the seven powerplays).

Sean Pickett            E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Go Terriers             Beanpot Champions